🌺Single Gals Saturday🌺

 I recently had an a-ha moment. I had met someone, we had been talking frequently, and we went on a few dates. I did what many of us do, and talked about it with my girlfriends. It seemed, on the surface, to be promising. He was nice and funny, and he was nice looking. He appeared to have his life together - amazing job, beautiful house, nice vehicle, a dog.

 My friend asked me each time we talked about him if he knew Jesus. She asked, “He has a nice smile, but does he know the Lord?” Each time, I’d say, “it hasn’t come up yet,” or, “I haven’t found a way to work it into the conversation yet.” HOLD UP. Or as one of my mentors says, “Pump ya brakes, sista.”

 Then it hit me, like a mack truck. If I want my next (and hopefully last) relationship to have God right smack in the middle of it, I shouldn’t have to wait for it to come up in conversation. It should be evident in his life, just as it should be in mine. That should be the first thing that I notice about him. I want to meet someone who loves God so much that it’s one of the first things he notices about me.

 If I enter into a serious relationship with someone with whom I am unequally yoked, eventually it will cause resistance on either or both sides. He might have no interest in going to church with me. Maybe I decide to stay home with him a couple of Sundays, which could eventually lead to not going at all. My relationship with Christ becomes second fiddle to pleasing him. And then my faith eventually begins to become non-existent.

 Been there. Done that. Several times. And I will not do that again.

 Unequally yoked? What’s that, you ask? The Apostle Paul, in 2 Corinthians 6:14 said: “Stop becoming unevenly yoked with unbelievers. What partnership can righteousness have with lawlessness? What fellowship can light have with darkness?”

 This passage on GotQuestions.org explains: “A yoke is a wooden bar that joins two oxen to each other and to the burden they pull. An “unequally yoked” team has one stronger ox and one weaker, or one taller and one shorter. The weaker or shorter ox would walk more slowly than the taller, stronger one, causing the load to go around in circles. When oxen are unequally yoked, they cannot perform the task set before them. Instead of working together, they are at odds with one another.”

 It goes on to say: “Of course, the closest alliance one person can have with another is found in marriage, and this is how the passage is usually interpreted. God’s plan is for a man and a woman to become “one flesh” (Genesis 2:24), a relationship so intimate that one literally and figuratively becomes part of the other. Uniting a believer with an unbeliever is essentially uniting opposites, which makes for a very difficult marriage relationship.”

 I want a partner who pushes me to be better (iron sharpens iron), and who loves God more than he loves me. Because I need someone who will understand that I LOVE GOD MORE than I love him...That God will ALWAYS, ALWAYS come first in my life. And honestly, if anyone loves me more than the Creator of the Universe, that should be a red flag. I need someone who will lead me, guide me, pray with and for me. And Lord, I cannot wait for the day when I stand next to the man who will worship with me. Because I will not compromise the most important part of my life for any man here on earth. He needs to know how much Christ loved him, so that he can love me. (Ephesians 5:25) I can wait until this man comes along. Maybe I’ve already met him, maybe not. But it will happen in God’s time. When it does, I will be available and ready.

 I am not ashamed of the Gospel of Jesus Christ. I am ecstatic about It. So if I find myself having to find a way to work it into a conversation with a potential date, or worrying whether or not he shares my beliefs, it’s probably a safe bet that he is not the one. I want to be able to talk about God in every conversation, because He is everything to me! If he doesn’t feel the same, in the words of the wise man Simon Cowell, “uh, it’s a ‘no’ from me.”

 Happy Saturday, precious daughters of Christ!😘 ~Kim Thompson~


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Fork In The Road

Carrie's Story

Totally in Tuesdays