SPRING CLEANING



Sisters in Christ Saturday

“I don’t know what to write about today,” I said to my sister this morning. 

“Write about Spring cleaning,” she joked, as she carried blinds from her bedroom outside to wash. I thought, “Nah.” Still I had no inspiration, so I conceded and started Spring cleaning of my own. 

I tend to hoard clothes. I will hold onto an article of clothing forever, in hopes that one day I might like it or fit into it again. I literally think, “But if I lose weight, I won’t have any jeans to wear, so I need to keep these, just in case.”  The problem with that is, they take up space that could be utilized by more useful items. So, by the time I finished purging my closet, I had filled four huge garbage bags to max capacity for donation. Now, the clothes I do wear are more organized, and I can actually find the things that I do want to wear. 

What does this have to do with anything? Well, I’ll tell you. As I was purging, dusting, vacuuming, and scrubbing, I reflected on how Spring cleaning is very similar to cleaning out our lives. When we clean our houses, we open up the windows & blinds and let good light in, so we can see all the dust, dirt, and cobwebs. When we allow God’s light, the Holy Spirit will help us see where we fall short. He can illuminate the pride, unbelief, bitterness, and faithlessness that we may have lurking in the dark corners of our hearts, so that we can sweep all of that junk out! 

We purge, or get rid of, all of the unnecessary things that make us unrighteous. Sin accumulates in our lives, just like those old tee shirts and jeans I never wear anymore. If I have all of those old clothes in my closet, I can’t fit any new things in there. In the same way, if we are unwilling to let go of our old, sinful ways, how can we expect to receive any of the Fruits of the Spirit? 

1 John 1:9 says, “If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.”  Ask God to shed His light on your sin that hides in the dark, and then ask His help in removing it from your life. He will CLEAN HOUSE, if you just ask Him. 

“God, create a clean heart for me and renew a steadfast spirit in me.” Psalm 51:10

Happy Saturday! 

Love you all!
Kim

P.S. Thank you, Diana, for the inspiration!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Fork In The Road

Carrie's Story

Totally in Tuesdays